Following a successful trial in July 2017, the collection of unwanted clothing, pairs of shoes and textiles is being extended to all houses in the borough.
Our aim is to divert more waste from landfill and increase the materials that residents can recycle at the kerbside. Textiles cannot be recycled in the green recycling bins but are often put in there by mistake. Previously they could be recycled at either of the two tips, or put into the grey bins. Any waste put into the grey bins is either sent to incineration or landfill.
Both tips will continue to accept textiles as normal.
How do I recycle my textiles?
- You will receive a calendar with the details of your collection dates together with a clear plastic bag to put your unwanted textiles in. We are collecting textiles four times per year, you can also use our postcode finder to check when your collections are.
- Place clean dry clothing, textiles or shoes into the bag (see below for the items we will / will not collect).
- Squash the bag to remove any trapped air and tie a knot to keep the contents secure, clean and dry.
- If you have more than one bag of textiles you may use your own bag for the extra items. This must be a clear plastic bag so the collectors can see what is inside.
- Put your bag out for collection by 6.30am on your textile collection day.
- If we collect a full bag from your house we will leave you a replacement for next time. If you do not use the bag provided please keep it in a safe place – you can use it next time.
- Full bags will be collected by JMP Wilcox Textile Reprocessors not taken away by a bin wagon.
What will be collected?
|Yes Please !||No Thanks !|
If your bag contains wet items it will not be collected !